It is the chocolate and kisses of life that make us rich. Enjoy what brings a smile to my face and love to my life.....

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Breaking Habits

Some habits die hard. But some habits need to be broken. I have a few I can think of........

Television. Sleep. Late night snacking after work.

I'm sure you can figure out why I would say television and late night snacking. What about sleeping? Well, I just happen to love it too much. I've noticed that for the past year that my sleep patterns have caused me to in fact feel more tired and have less energy.  They say most healthy adults need 7.5 to 9 hours of sleep per night to function at their best. Well I am well aware that I do indeed get the proper amount of hours needed, and yet I still feel awful. So I have narrowed it down to one BIG reason, not enough physical activity during the day. This does not mean that I sit on my butt all day but there are a ton of things I could do to improve the amount of activity I get. So I guess it is breaking the habit of being inactive more than changing my sleep patterns. They will go together to make me feel better though. So here is the plan.

1. Aim for the suggested 7.5 - 9 hours.
2. Get ready for bed and brush them teeth after getting home from work. I usually get home between 130 and 2 am. I need to learn to just go to bed because I am tired, but my mind is going going going from the night at work.
3. Eat a snack between dinner and when you get out of work. I usually have my break (if we get one) between 530 and 7. That would leave me 5 hours to eat a snack so I'm not starving by the time I get home. Lets work on this.
4. Wake up when my eyes open, not when I think the time is appropriate. My eyes open for a reason, use it. Enjoy the day and it leaves extra time for me to be active throughout the day.
5. Aim to get at least 1 hour of planned exercise on most days. 
6. Stay away from the couch/TV. (This will take some work, since I do love my shows!)
Criminal Minds...Love it!

I believe that these habits will come a little easier now that the dreaded winter is getting farther away and we are now past daylight savings.... more hours of daylight, YES! Which means waking up to sunlight shining in your face, the warmth of the sun on your skin, the budding of flowers, and all that beauty that spring has to offer. I can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...