It is the chocolate and kisses of life that make us rich. Enjoy what brings a smile to my face and love to my life.....

Friday, February 11, 2011

Body Image Vs. Health

All of us have body image issues, whether we are overweight, underweight or in "our perfect weight range." None of us will ever look in the mirror and think that we are the best, because we are our WORST critics. If it's not our butt that looks too big, it's that our hair is too frizzy. You just can't win. But, you can learn to accept yourself the way you are, and make changes physically and psychologically that can make you feel like a BETTER you!
I am reminded every day that I go to work, how blessed I am to be alive and healthy. I may carry some extra pounds that I need to get rid of, but I have my health. If I want to keep it that way, I know I need to lose weight, and I am striving to do that.

At work, I see people in their sickest moments. Most days I am slapped with a reality check, such as the other day.  I was going in to check on my patient, when I saw his wife kissing him, her dying husband, knowing that those were his last few moments. This very emotional experience lingered in my mind for a  few days, as I thought about that person often and couldn't help but picture myself as if I was in their situation. While these experiences make it easier for me to see that I am so grateful for everything in life, some days my body image issues come creeping back in, as if they were the worst thing that could happen. I know that it is not what really matters in life and that's why I need to take a step back to really look at the bigger picture.

Because for me, this is what matters.....
and this.....

and all my family and friends.

This is my year to change how I feel towards myself. To make ME the best ME for my future. To change my negative thoughts into positive ones and to embrace both the good and bad. I will always have body image issues, everyone does. But I can control how much I let it get in the way of a fabulous life, and that's what I'm going to do. LIVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...